about letter of no-impediment
If you’re South African-born and planning to get married overseas, you may need a Letter of no impediment to marriage.
What is a Letter of No Impediment?
A letter of no impediment is issued by the Department of Home Affairs in South Africa stating your marital status. It is valid for 6 months.
Most countries require a letter of no impediment to marriage before allowing you to marry. This letter proves that you are free to marry, not already legally married in that country, and according to their laws, you are eligible to be married.
Do you need a Letter?
There is only one way to find out, you must ask an authority, embassy, or consulate from the country you want to get married in if you need a letter. Police Clear cannot tell you about the rules and requirements of an overseas country. It’s your responsibility to find out what you need.
You can submit all the required documentation at your nearest Department of Home Affairs branch or a South African mission, consulate, or embassy if you’re overseas, and pay the required fee.
In order to apply for your certificate of no impediment, you will require the following documents:
- A copy of your ID document or passport in a clear PDF scan
- A completed DHA Letter of No Impediment DHA-1155 Form
This process can take up to 6 months if you are already abroad, or you can expedite the process.
Police Clear is an Independent Document facilitation company providing clients with an expedited letter of no impediment application services. We provide the following benefits to clients.
Get your certificate of no impediment in 4-8 weeks.
- We will expedite the application process on your behalf order and obtain your certificate in 4 to 8 weeks guaranteed. We collect your document the day that it is ready
We do all of the hard work.
- There are a number of requirements and a procedure that must adhered to before the South African Home Affairs office will issue a letter of no impediment.
- Skip the queues, complete the form below and a friendly Police Clear consultant will contact you to finalise the sourcing of your documents expeditiously.
Stress and hassle-free
- Police Clear will ensure within 4 to 8 weeks you will receive your Letter of No Impediment. What could be simpler?
- Get in touch with our team of experts today to learn more about our services and how we can help you obtain your legal documents. Call us on 021 462 8203 or fill in the contact form below.
How Can We Help You?
We also assist local and international clients with document attestation, legalisations, apostille of South African documents, and sworn translation services.